Outsourcing of business informations systems is being revolutionized by the worldwide availability of broadband Internet and by the ubiquitous access to innovative Web services designed for the Enterprise. Buzzwords such as Web 3.0, Enterprise 2.0, SOA, SaaS, PaaS or Cloud simply mean that a company can now be entirely run through the Web using abrowser, a laptop or a mobile phone and a wireless access to the Internet. Total Information Outsourcing (TIO), from corporate servers to business applications, from online consulting to corporate information sharing, from e-learning to business process management, has become a relevant alternative to accelerate the implementation yet reduce the costs of corporate information systems. It also provides new opportunities for business optimisation which go far beyond the mere outsourcing of tangible and intangible IT facilities.
The first goal of the TIO workgroup is to study the consequences of TIO on Infrastructure Freedom. The second goal of the TIO workgroup is to provide definitions and guidelines - a.k.a. TIO Libre - to implement TIO without losing Freedom and Control of the Enterprise information system. Definition and guidelines are expected to be summarized in a research article. The third goal of the TIO workgroup is to increase the awareness of the market for TIO Libre solutions which provide a relevant alternative to proprietary TIO solutions.
FFII TIO Working Group
FFII started a working group on September 2008 to study TIO in the Information Infrastructure Freedom. This Wiki tries to provide a overview of TIO tools, services and practices. It will eventually lead to recommendations in the area of TIO to companies and governements looking for TIO services which are compatible with ""Information Freedom"".
Members of the working group are:
- Hartmut Pilch (FFII)
- Yoshinori Okuji (Nexedi Japan)
- Bernard Lang (AFUL)
- Jean-Paul Smets (Nexedi)
- Rogerio Atem de Carvalho (CEFET Campos, Brazil)
- Tidiane Seck (ADIE, Ségénal)
- TioSecurity : what are the threats posed by TIO to corporate security or to national security
- TioTour: a tour of TIO practices such as SaaS (ex. Salesforce, co-ment, ERP5 Express), data aggregation services (ex. Lokad), hosting (ex. OVH, Amazon), social networks, etc.
- TioTaxonomy : a comprehensive set of abstractions which can be used to categorize the different kinds of TIO
- TioSwot : strength, weaknesses, opportunities and threats posed by TIO growth in companies and society
- TioNomics : the economy of TIO (competition, business models)
- TioPortability : keeping access to data structures and interoperability in a TIO context
- TioControl: keeping Information Systems under control in a TIO context
- TioHumanFactor: how can TIO provide the same guarantees in terms of loyalty as regular staff or civil servants
Tio Libre Definitions: what does Information Freedom mean in the context of TIO
TIO Guidelines: 3 easy steps to assess your TIO provider
- OpenSourceTio : what are the relations between open source and TIO
- TioSla : what should a TIO SLA (Service Level Agreement) contain to protect customers of TIO services
- SlaEffectiveness : how effective is an SLA
- SlaWorstPractice : examples of dangerous clauses in SLAs of certain TIO providers
- TioPrivacy : is privacy Law compatible with Freedom in the context of TIO
- TioDefinition : what is TIO ?